Low voltage transformers are at the heart of every landscape lighting installation. Their job is fairly simple – to convert 120 volts to the voltage required to power a 12-volt lighting system. Not so simple, is the engineering that goes into the construction of these power supplies.
CAST Lighting produces transformers that range in capacity from 300 watts to 1,500 watts (the largest in the industry); and that range in output from 12 volts to 22 volts. Throughout the past ten years, CAST engineers have modified the components and design of these transformers – to improve their functionality and reliability.
The larger transformers (900 watts and above) presented the greatest engineering challenges. These transformers carry a high current load that stress the unit’s electronic components. Additional stresses are applied due to the occaisional presence of “Inrush Current” – a powerful surge that floods the unit upon start-up. After all these modifications, CAST is confident that their transformers are now the most rugged and reliable in the industry.
CAST Lighting Transformer Features
- Highly efficient resin-sealed torroidal cores (the best in the industry)
- Double inrush protection (on models 900 watts and above) – using two simple and robust thermistors
- Extra-rugged Power Bypass Relays – to protect sensitive time clocks and photocells
- “Full-Load Commons Configuration” (Master Series only) – enables full use of transformer capacity
- Extra-large terminal blocks and wiring compartment
- PVC wire conduit (Master Series only)
- More features. . .